Monday, May 30, 2011

2011 Holy Land Study Tour - Day Ten

Ancient structures in Petra.
Day Ten - Petra:  My name is Ashley and I am part of the St. John’s School of Theology - Seminary trip to the Holy Land.  Today I am going to fill you in on our hike through what is now considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World: Petra.  This ancient Nabataen settlement is about 125 km from the port city of Aqaba on the Red Sea. 

After getting off our tour bus, we passed through the first gates of Petra into what is called the holy route.  I have many highlights of this pass including the beautiful rock formations, red and black cliffs, ingenious water channels, and lastly, my favorite, the site of announcement for marriage.  It was two holes chiseled out of the rock for the man and woman to stand and face the god of the Nabataens, Dushares. 

After the holy route comes to an end, the most amazing site comes before you.  I think everyone’s initial reaction was, “Wow, Incredible” or my word, “Whoa.” (You could also have taken a picture of the dumbfounded look on my face, which would have probably been a little funny.)  This magnificent building is called the Treasury.  It is a massive sight with 13-meter high giant pillars that hold two rooms above them.  Underneath this building one can find the tombs of King Aretas IV and his wife (the most popular king during the time of the Nabataens).  I couldn’t help but think that the work it would take to hammer and chisel this outstanding structure is unreal.  The treasury, along with other buildings in Petra, contain Roman, Egyptian and Greek architectural influence.  This is special only to the Nabataens.

The Treasury, Petra.
There were many special things to see in Petra.  The tombs, church, mosaics, theatre, but my favorite is always the one that is so rewarding.  This would be our 860-step climb to the monastery.  Starting this arduous journey, I seemed to be doing ok until about step 300.  Then things started to get dusty, tiring, and HOT.  The donkeys to the top were looking more and more tempting, but I knew that I had to do it.  (Especially after 70 year-old men and women were doing it, I couldn’t be the 20 year old taking the easy way up.  That would be embarrassing.)  Eventually after a 40-minute hike on one canteen of water I made it to the top with the group.  The monastery was another enormous structure that you could climb in and take a look around.  Also, there were different trails to other structures or if you preferred, a trail to “The Best View in Petra.”  I settled for some of the other trails and I thought they were just as amazing.  The cliffs were enchanting with the black, red, purple, and orange colors being reflected from the sunlight.  A light breeze kept it cool and quiet.  It was definitely another surreal, “pinch me” moment.

Finally, the last highlight of the day would have been my trip back to the bus.  A few very interesting things happened.  First, I took a horse back from the holy route to the visitor center and my guide whose horse I was riding gave me his card and told me to call him later for a beer.  Oh, and I had the most beautiful smile and eyes.  Awwwwww!  So sweet.  Second, when I made it to the visitor center and shops, I wanted to go in and buy a hijab.  (The one I eventually picked out was silk and camel hair.)  The man that was selling me it said that he would marry me for 1000 camels.  Is that a compliment or a good salesman?  Who knows!  All I know is that today will be one of those days our tour guide says we will remember forever.

Asley

No comments:

Post a Comment